News

Long Beach Pride festival canceled hours before opening as city cites safety gaps

JR
Jin Rokuda
Official Publisher

Join the conversation

React with your take and see what people think below.

Long Beach Pride festival canceled hours before opening as city cites safety gaps

The 42nd annual event, which typically draws 80,000 people, was shut down after officials said organizers missed critical safety deadlines.

For thousands of people, this weekend was meant to be a time of joy and belonging. Instead, they are left with empty stages and a lot of questions after a major celebration was pulled at the last second.

What Happened

The Long Beach Pride Festival was scheduled to begin on Friday, May 15, at 5 p.m. Just hours before the gates were set to open, the city announced the event was canceled. Officials stated that organizers failed to provide the required paperwork to ensure the site was safe for the public.

City leaders said they had been working with the group for months. They claimed they never received plans for emergency exits, electrical systems, or stage safety. Because these details were missing, the city said they could not legally allow the event to move forward.

What the money/evidence shows

  • 42nd year the festival was scheduled to take place.
  • 80,000 people typically attend the three-day event.
  • 5 p.m. Friday was the scheduled start time for Teen Pride.
  • 3rd largest Pride celebration in California.
  • 1 parade is still scheduled to proceed on Sunday.

The Bigger Question

Why did it take until the very last minute to pull the plug? If the city had been working with organizers for months, the public deserves to know exactly when the communication broke down.

We should also ask if there is a better way to handle safety disputes. Is there a middle ground that keeps people safe without canceling a major community event on the day it is supposed to start?

The Other Side

Tonya Martin, the President of Long Beach Pride, said the group is deeply disappointed and feels the city's move sends the wrong message to the LGBTQ community. She argued that the festival is a vital institution and that the city should have worked harder to find a way to keep it open. This argument carries weight because the sudden cancellation leaves thousands of attendees and vendors without a clear path forward.

What Happens Now

While the festival is off, the annual Pride Parade is still set to happen on Sunday. The city says it will fully fund and produce that event itself. Local businesses along Broadway and in Downtown Long Beach are expected to host their own smaller celebrations throughout the weekend.

What We Still Don't Know

  1. What specific safety documents were missing that could not be resolved in the final days?
  2. Why was the decision to cancel made only hours before the start time?
  3. Will the city and the Pride organization be able to work together on future events after this public fallout?

Source Note

All information is based on official statements from the City of Long Beach and Long Beach Pride organizers. All charges are allegations - all parties are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Transparency notes

Published: May 16, 2026. No major post-publication update has been logged.

Spot an error or missing context? Email hi@kindjoe.com and we will review and correct if needed.

Sources

External source links were not provided in this article body. Our editors reference publicly available materials and update stories as new verified information arrives.

What's your take on this story?

Vote before the outcome is known and compare your call with the crowd.

No community take has been linked to this story yet.