A 35-year-old man was found deceased on Venice Beach late Monday night, prompting a shooting death investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department.
According to the LAPD, officers received a call at approximately 11:13 p.m. reporting a “person down in the sand.” The caller reported the discovery in the 1800 block of Ocean Front Walk, just south of Lifeguard Tower 19.
The location is near several well-known Venice Beach landmarks, including the Venice Beach Basketball Courts and Muscle Beach, an area that can remain active late into the evening.
Police responded to the scene and found the man deceased. Video obtained by KTLA showed authorities blocking off part of the beach near the shoreline while investigators worked in the area. The victim's body was seen underneath a white sheet as officers secured the scene.
An LAPD spokesperson confirmed that the victim was a 35-year-old man and said investigators were treating the case as a shooting death.
The circumstances surrounding the man's death remained unclear as detectives continued gathering information from the scene.
Key Facts
- Victim: 35-year-old man
- Location: 1800 block of Ocean Front Walk, Venice Beach
- Approximate time of call: 11:13 p.m. Monday
- Nearby landmark: Lifeguard Tower 19
- Investigation: Shooting death
- Suspect: No suspect currently being sought
- Arrests: No arrests reported
- Public safety: Police said there was no threat to the public
What the Evidence Shows
The initial information confirms that the man was found dead in the sand near the shoreline, but authorities have not publicly provided a detailed account of how he died.
The LAPD's description of the case as a shooting death indicates investigators believe the victim died from a gunshot wound. However, police have not released information about the weapon involved, the number of shots fired or whether any weapon was recovered at the scene.
According to the LAPD spokesperson, the original emergency call described a “person down in the sand.” That information led officers to the area shortly after the call was received.
KTLA's video from the scene showed a significant police presence and an area of the beach blocked off while authorities investigated.
Police later provided an important update, saying that no suspect was being sought and that there was no threat to the public. Authorities also confirmed that no arrests had been made in connection with the death.
THE BIGGER QUESTION
The investigation leaves several important questions about what happened to the victim and how he ended up on the beach.
Detectives will likely examine the area surrounding the discovery, review any available surveillance footage and speak with people who may have been near Ocean Front Walk around the time of the shooting. Investigators may also look for witnesses who heard gunshots or saw activity near the shoreline.
Because the incident occurred in a heavily visited part of Venice Beach, investigators could potentially have access to information from nearby businesses, security cameras and people who were in the area that night.
The location near the Venice Beach Basketball Courts and Muscle Beach could also be significant as detectives work to establish the victim's movements before his death.
The fact that police said there was no threat to the public could indicate investigators do not believe an active shooter or immediate danger remains in the area. However, authorities have not publicly explained why no suspect is currently being sought.
A skeptical view is that the preliminary information does not establish exactly how or why the man was killed. While LAPD has classified the death as a shooting investigation, investigators have not released a motive, suspect description, weapon information or a detailed timeline leading up to the victim's death. The absence of a suspect search should also not be interpreted as proof that investigators know who was responsible. Those details could change as detectives gather additional evidence.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
LAPD detectives are expected to continue investigating the circumstances surrounding the shooting death and determining what happened before the victim was discovered.
Investigators may canvass the surrounding area for witnesses and surveillance footage that could help establish a timeline. Evidence collected at the scene could also help detectives determine where the shooting occurred and whether the victim was killed at the location where he was found.
Authorities may release additional information about the victim once his family has been notified and investigators have established more details about the case.
Police could also provide further information about the circumstances of the death, including whether investigators believe the shooting was targeted or connected to another incident.
For now, officials have emphasized that there is no known threat to the public.
WHAT WE STILL DON'T KNOW
- What led to the shooting?
- Where exactly did the shooting occur?
- Was the victim specifically targeted?
- What type of weapon was used?
- Was a weapon recovered?
- Were there witnesses to the shooting?
- Is surveillance footage available from nearby businesses or cameras?
- Why is no suspect currently being sought?
- Has anyone been identified as a person of interest?
- What was the victim doing before he was found on the beach?
- Will additional details be released following the investigation?
The investigation remains ongoing as LAPD detectives work to determine the circumstances surrounding the man's death.