A 35-year-old Los Angeles man has been arrested after police say he repeatedly returned to a Studio City property following an initial suspected burglary attempt.
The Los Angeles Police Department said security cameras captured the suspect on the property multiple times, eventually allowing officers to identify and arrest him after he was found in the backyard.
The investigation remains active as detectives work to determine whether the suspect could be connected to other crimes in the area.
WHAT HAPPENED
On August 7, 2026, Los Angeles Police Department officers with the North Hollywood Division responded to the 3800 block of Rhodes Avenue after a homeowner received a security alarm notification indicating someone was on the property.
The homeowner was away from the residence at the time but was able to view surveillance footage showing an unknown man on the property.
Responding officers searched the residence and discovered damage to a rear sliding-glass door.
Police determined that the suspect had apparently attempted to enter the home but was unable to gain access.
Officers documented the damage, reviewed the available surveillance footage and completed an initial burglary report.
The investigation, however, did not end there.
SUSPECT ALLEGEDLY RETURNED
In the days following the initial incident, the homeowner continued monitoring the property through the surveillance system.
According to LAPD, the same individual was repeatedly observed entering the property.
North Hollywood detectives continued investigating the incidents and determined that the suspect had also accessed a separate structure located on the property.
Police said property belonging to the homeowner was taken from that structure.
The repeated surveillance sightings gave detectives additional information as they worked to identify the person appearing in the footage.
ARREST
On August 10, 2026, officers were dispatched back to the residence after another male was observed in the backyard.
When officers arrived, they located the suspect on the property and took him into custody without incident.
The homeowner and a property representative subsequently identified the detained man as the individual they had seen in the surveillance footage during the previous incidents, according to LAPD.
Police identified the suspect as 35-year-old Gavin Gregory Gist, a Los Angeles resident.
Gist was arrested and booked at Van Nuys Jail on suspicion of felony burglary under California Penal Code section 459(a).
His booking number is 7296457.
WHAT THE EVIDENCE SHOWS
The investigation began with an alarm notification and surveillance footage showing an unknown person on the property.
Officers subsequently documented damage to the rear sliding-glass door, although police determined the suspect was unable to enter the residence during that initial incident.
Additional surveillance footage allegedly showed the same individual returning to the property on multiple occasions.
Detectives also determined that a separate structure had been accessed and that property belonging to the homeowner had been taken.
When officers later encountered Gist at the residence, the homeowner and a property representative identified him as the same person captured in the earlier surveillance footage, according to police.
The combination of surveillance footage, physical damage and the subsequent identification formed part of the investigation leading to the arrest.
THE BIGGER QUESTION
The case highlights how residential security systems can provide investigators with information when homeowners are away from their properties.
In this case, the homeowner was able to receive an alert and view surveillance footage remotely, allowing officers to respond to the initial report and later incidents.
The repeated alleged visits also gave detectives additional opportunities to document the suspect's movements and investigate whether property had been taken.
However, police are still working to determine whether the incidents were isolated or part of a broader pattern.
A SKEPTICAL VIEW
Although police say the homeowner and a property representative identified Gist as the person seen in the surveillance footage, the allegations have not been resolved in court. The available information also does not establish whether Gist is responsible for any other burglaries beyond the incidents currently under investigation. Detectives are still examining the evidence and determining whether additional crimes can be connected to him, so those potential connections should not be treated as established facts unless investigators or prosecutors provide further confirmation.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
North Hollywood Area detectives are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incidents.
Investigators are also working to determine whether Gist may be connected to additional crimes.
That could include reviewing other burglary reports in the area and comparing available surveillance footage or evidence.
Anyone with information related to the investigation is encouraged to contact North Hollywood Area detectives.
During non-business hours or weekends, information can be provided to 1-877-LAPD-24-7 (877-527-3247).
Anonymous tips can also be submitted to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477).
WHAT WE STILL DON'T KNOW
- Whether Gist will face additional charges.
- What specific property was allegedly taken from the separate structure.
- Whether investigators believe he is connected to other burglaries.
- Whether additional victims may come forward.
- Whether more surveillance footage will be released.
- Whether prosecutors will file the case and what charges will ultimately be pursued.
- Whether the investigation will lead to additional arrests.